In this time when we can’t be present physically, we can be with everyone digitally. God has given us tools like social media at this time for a reason. We all have great God-given influence, and there’s no better way to steward that influence than by engaging with social media wisely and strategically.
If you’re trying to decide what to post, consider these three words:
- KNOW – What do you want your community to know? What important updates or websites do you want them to know about?
- FEEL – What do you want people to feel? You want them to feel hope and love, right? Share how much God cares for them and how you do, too.
- DO – What do you want your congregation to do? How can they reach out or serve? How can they continue growing spiritually? Guide them through their next steps.
Want to know how often to post? With social media and the world constantly evolving and changing by the hour, it’s hard to say. Instead, ask yourself this question:
Am I adding value or adding noise?
With so much content out there, make sure what you’re offering is bringing value to viewers. And what do people value right now? Hope, honesty, and authenticity. So, when you’re deciding what to post, be yourself! Pastor Craig Groeschel always says that people would rather follow a leader who is always real rather than one who is always right. So, just make it personal.
Hear from Beau Coffron, social media leader at Life.Church, for more about how you can take your social media to the next level!
Creating excellent, personal content that brings value is a great start, but engagement is king. Engage with your content and encourage attenders and volunteers to do the same. That means liking, commenting, and sharing posts.
Studies show that content shared by individuals, as opposed to corporate accounts, is seen as more trustworthy and is eight times more likely to be engaged with. The more engagement your content gets, the more social media algorithms will show it to a larger audience. Engaging with social media content is a great way for your volunteers to help serve and be the Church in this time as they spread digital hope to the online community!
If you’re new to social media, it may be hard to know what types of content are engaging for people. We’ve gathered some ideas based on what some Life.Church locations are doing on social media right now:
Just for fun:
- Name things you’re grateful for this season.
- Favorite quarantine activity?
- Answer [this question] by commenting with a GIF.
Celebrate the weekend:
Pointing to the weekend:
- Tag someone you’re inviting to church online this weekend
- Post a photo of how you’re watching church online.
- Links to external resources, like blog posts, videos, worship songs, etc.
- Worship Wednesday — highlight the lyrics to a worship song & link to a YouTube video.
- What have you seen your attenders doing to serve the community? Shout them out!
- Appreciate healthcare workers, food industry, bankers, pharmacists, teachers, etc.
- Post a schedule for online events during the week.
- Opportunities that people can give or serve in this season.
- Shout out to your ministry leaders!
- Share a Bible plan to read with attenders or staff.
- Local non-profits that people can get involved with in this season.
Remember, one post on social media could be the hope that someone needs, and the impact that God can make through social media is truly immeasurable! If you need artwork, stock photography, or videos for social media, visit open.life.church/resources.
FOMO is real, so don’t take chances.
Get the latest blog content delivered straight to your inbox.
Reach more people for Christ.
Find free resources, training, online community, and apps on the Life.Church Open Network.Start your free account